REPs’ members, in England, could qualify for match-funded training as part of the Government’s Joint Investment Programme. Supported by SkillsActive, in partnership with the Fitness Industry Association (FIA), the Register of Exercise Professionals (REPs) and the Sport and Fitness Employers Group (SAFE), specific training courses have been identified to support public health and the delivery of physical activity. The delivery of the training is being co-ordinated by Sussex Downs College, with the courses, being, specially identified as filling existing skills-gaps in the fitness sector. Now employers, and those who are self-employed, are being urged to apply for up to 50 per cent funding of the cost of this training.
SkillsActive’s Sport and Fitness Manager Gary Lee says: “The Joint Investment Programme has £278,000 set aside to meet skills gaps in the fitness industry and we now need employers (and those who are self-employed) to apply access to this training as part of it. “This is a great opportunity for fitness instructors to gain highly-valued qualifications at a heavily discounted price. I know from my work with the fitness industry how motivated and keen to learn fitness professionals are, and I’m sure they won’t let an opportunity like this pass.”
The courses available are:
- L2 Award in Understanding Health Improvement
- L3 Award in Adapting Exercise for Older Adults*
- L3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Older Adults*
- L2 Award in Community Activation
- L3 Unit – Enabling Individuals to Change Behaviour and Improve Health and Well-being while working as a Health Trainer
- L2 Unit in Customer Care and Diversity in Active Leisure
- L3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for Ante and Post Natal Participants*
- L3 Award in Adapting Physical Activity for People with Disabilities*
- L4 Certificate for the management of lower back pain*
Employers, or those who are self-employed, will be expected to provide 50% of the cost of the qualification and the Skills Funding Agency will match this.
Courses marked * will give REPs categories, others gain REPs CPD points.
Please visit our short survey at Survey Monkey JIP to register your interest in the programme. The information you provide will then be submitted to the lead training provider for the project, Sussex Downs College, who will connect you to the delivery network.